Thursday, September 16, 2010

You've Gotta Wonder

To tell you the truth I rarely watch viral videos on YouTube.  A: because I don't like to watch others pain or embarrassment and B: because the videos usually aren't that funny to me. So with the latest assignment being Know Your Meme...I felt like a fish out of water. When I clicked on the homepage I realized that in the entire archives I might have only seen a handful of the videos! So I started searching thru the homepage until I found one that peaked my interest...
Interior Semiotics is the video I found. It's a viral video that hit YouTube as a Shock Avante-Garde Performance. It touched a cord with me because I HATE the hipster movement in art...I lived in Chicago for a year and went to 3 hipster performances. I honestly feel that these teenager and college students have no idea the actual history behind what makes their work possible or plausible. Rubbing yourself with old spaghetti o's while reciting badly written poems backwards and forwards doesn't symbolize adolescent freedom to me...it represents you have not enough to do in your own life.
Take a look at the video with care...it became viral because of the obscene nature of the story, reminscent of "Two Girls, One Cup", the girl wants to shock you- while not explaining the root of her story. For those non art majors who don't understand the origins of shock hipster...it's a viral best seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment