Wednesday, September 8, 2010

YouTube Fangirl

Thanks to my Media Arts and Game Design class at my university I have discovered an informative site called TubeFilter . This site basically archives all the newest goings on on the web and Youtube on its homepage. I was scanning the articles and found one that really grabbed my interest.

The article is called The Web Series Identity Crisis and it talks about using YouTube as a way of income and if that process is truly legit. I take the side of the writer, Marc Hustvedt, and say "Of course it's legit!" The people of Youtube are completely innovative. They took something so new at the time, put up their own little personal videos, pulled their viewers in, and made it their life. Anyone who says they suck, like the msn article "YouTube Stars Make Money- But Why?", has to just be jealous. Sure Fred is annoying and The Annoying Orange is even more annoying (and let's just say I wouldn't be caught dead watching them) But come on! These people turned on their camera for fun one day in 2006. FOR FUN. And then built their life around it by 2010! That's 4 years of hard work. I've been watching YouTube since 2005 and I still have yet to post a video...

I believe that these people are the foundations of interactive web media.  It doesn't have to be just the people who are partnered and making money...any one who has ever uploaded a video to YouTube is part of one of the biggest phenomenon of this decade. Who could have dreamed that viewing any person at any time in any place in the world would ever be available? That's what YouTube is- a community of millions of people watching other people's lives unfold. Some still do it for fun, some do it for laughs or advertising, and some do it now as their careers. It's a beautiful thing, made possible even by the very people who are now complaining about these "paid performers".

All I can say is YouTube is one of the best artistic outlets available and an artist needs to make money. :) So to all the musicians that were discovered, all the comedians that got names, and to the channels that got partnered...BRAVO!


My favorite money-making YouTube Star:

Community Channel : How can you resist watching, no matter how popular she has gotten!?
Neglected Keystrokes

No comments:

Post a Comment