Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Building Blocks

I was looking on Wired today and I ran across a pretty neat video of what Disney is doing for today's blooming animators.  They are starting them at the beginning...the very beginning. Through classes at the disney museum people (kids-adults) can take classes on animation design. First they show you the way animation was done at the start of disney. Pencil, pen and paper plotted on a cork-board storyboard. They make you utilize the step-by-step method. I think that's wonderful! So Amazing! I feel like today younger people are too used to technology that they don't even want or care to know how we got to this point. Im sure some people can use Illustator or Photoshop, but ask them to plot a story using pen, pencil, and charcoal and they would be at a loss. The nuisances of using the real thing is much different than using a tablet and having a program animate for you.
It makes me so happy that Disney is getting right. Teach the absolute foundation and go up from there. Sometimes it not about the technology, it's about your creative thinking with limited tools.
It's hard for me sometimes...they gap of paper artist and computer artist. I started as a Drawing major here at Whitewater but switched over to Game Design. In the classes they expect you to just know the basics. Well I don't and I wish there was a program that started everyone out at the same level- help you make the transition from paper to technology.
Guess I'll have to move to San Francisco for that....

No comments:

Post a Comment